I'll start with the main character, because that seems like the logical thing to do.
(Deconstruction: WHY does that seem like the logical thing to do?
Just playing.
It's because that's where I want to start.)
I didn't feel frustraited or disapointed with Dina's actions, though I know a lot of people in class did, especially in regard to Heidi. I thought she was just the type of person who NEEDED failure in order for things to have significance. Or not even for them to have significance, but just in order to feel/recognize it. Her consistent resistance to human interaction and companionship was like a compulsion, a tick that needed to be satisfied. For example, when Heidi was looking for comfort after her mother's death, Dina said "Fine...And she's going to be dead for a long time". Though she realized it was not the correct thing to say, that it even "sounded stupid", she finished by revealing to us that it felt good to say it. "As though I had my own locks to click shut".
I don't think it was Dina's goal to make her life more lonely and difficult; she was just subconsciously making sure that life lived up to her expectations, or lack thereof. Only after her relationship with Heidi ended did she reflect on what it could have been, and I think for her that reflection- the unknown possibility- was much more safe and satisfying than the real thing.
(Looks like I'm also ending with the main character.)
Friday, September 28, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment